Click on the links below to download PDF resources suitable for primary school students.
Turner: The Sun is God exhibition resource
This resource is designed to support an inquiry-based exploration of our exciting autumn/winter exhibition Turner: The Sun is God.
Inquiry-Based Learning is collaborative, process-based, and creative. It mirrors how artists and other creative professionals develop their practice. This resource provides contextual information about Turner’s life and work, and will focus on key artworks from the exhibition. It is intended to be used before and after your visit or online session.
Learning Through Art
Learning through art is at the heart of the National Gallery of Ireland’s primary school programme. Art helps us to understand the world and can be used in the classroom to engage with themes and subjects across the curriculum. Our series of Learning Through Art resources are designed as practical toolkits to enable you to use artworks as primary sources and inspiration for lessons in other core curriculum areas.
There are three resources in this series: History, Primary Language, and SPHE.
Each resource provides you with:
- A PowerPoint slideshow for you and your class to read through
- Images of a key artwork from the Gallery’s collection
- Information about the painting and the artist
- Looking and responding questions to ask your class
- Discussion points
- Curriculum-linked lessons based on the work
- Worksheets to print out and use along with the lessons
- A resource list of additional websites that you can use for further research and reading
- Additional lesson ideas for other subjects
Learning Through Art: History
- Download Learning Through Art: History PDF resource (PDF, <1MB)
- Download Learning Through Art: History PPTX resource (PPTX, 4MB)
- Download Learning Through Art: History worksheet (Word, 23KB)
Learning Through Art: Primary Language
- Download Learning Through Art: Primary Language PDF resource (PDF, <1MB)
- Download Learning Through Art: Primary Language PPTX resource (PPTX, 1MB)
- Download Learning Through Art: Primary Language worksheet (Word, 36KB)
Learning Through Art: SPHE
- Download Learning Through Art: SPHE PDF resource (PDF, <1MB)
- Download Learning Through Art: SPHE PPTX resource (PPTX, 10MB)
- Download Learning Through Art: SPHE worksheet (Word, 32KB)
Irish-language Learning Through Art resources
Art & Mindfulness: Powerscourt Waterfall
Created by teacher and Gallery tour guide Maria Broderick, this resource includes a step-by-step guide to incorporating mindfulness in the primary classroom, alongside an in-depth look at a painting of Powerscourt Waterfall, Co. Wicklow, by George Barret. It is provided as a PDF and an adaptable PowerPoint that you can use in the classroom, and is accompanied by a guided mindfulness video exploring the painting.
- Download Art & Mindfulness PDF resource (PDF, 1MB)
- Download Art & Mindfulness PPTX resource (PPTX, 5MB)
- Watch Art & Mindfulness video
- Ealaín & Aireachas Ag Tacú le Folláine Páistí i mBunscoileanna. (PDF, 1MB)
- Ealaín & Aireachas Ag Tacú le Folláine Páistí i mBunscoileanna. (PPTX, 2MB)
- Ealaín & Aireachas: Eas Chúirt an Phaoraigh. Féach ar an bhfíseán anois
Medium, Materiality and Magic: Photography at the Gallery
Learn about the history of photography through Look and Respond questions, a glossary of key terms, research project ideas and creative activities.
- Download English-language Photography at the Gallery PDF resource
- Download Irish-language Photography at the Gallery PDF resource
What is a Portrait?
Learn about portraiture by examining 11 portraits in the Gallery's collection. Look and Respond questions and creative activities encourage discussion and engagement.
- Download English-language What is a Portrait PDF resource
- Download Irish-language What is a Portrait PDF resource
Landscapes in Irish Art
Designed to be used in the classroom, this resource takes key artworks as the starting point for imaginative workshops incorporating Geography, History, Science, Art and English.
Resources cheat sheet
Resources for primary schools
Download this guide for teachers outlining all of our resources, plus some additional notes and activity ideas.
More online resources and activities
Renaissance for Kids: Hidden Clues in Art
Video: Learn how to spot hidden clues in Renaissance paintings.
Art & Mindfulness: Powerscourt Waterfall
A guided mindfulness video for primary schools
How to make a photogram
Follow this simple step-by-step tutorial
Colouring in the Collection
Download and colour in some works from the national collection