We are very excited to announce that 20 young artists aged between three and eighteen years old have been shortlisted for this year's Zurich Young Portrait Prize.
The shortlisted artists are:
- Francesca Chu (Dublin, aged 5), Standing in a Tranquil Stream, watercolour, oil pastel, coloured pencil on paper
- Margot Gillespie (Dublin, aged 5) Katelyn my Bestie, paint on canvas
- Conor McPolin (Dublin, aged 6), Conor, paint on paper
- Muireann O’Reilly (Dublin, aged 3), The sad pirate who couldn’t find treasure, paint on paper
- Cara Sinclair (Dublin, aged 5), Woodland Girl, flowers and natural materials
- Eloise Cassidy (Kildare, aged 11), 20 Seconds, digital photo on paper
- Zihan He (Dublin, aged 11), Me, pencil on paper
- Emily McAdam Kavanagh (Dublin, aged 11), Zara, acrylic on canvas board
- Hope Stephens (Dublin, aged 8), Me When I’m Bored, crayons, markers, pritt stick, paper on paper
- Jiayi Sun (Dublin, aged 10), Myself Eating Ice Cream, paint on canvas
- Jodie Lavery (Derry, aged 15), Pandemic, watercolour and pen on paper
- Seán Lynch (Meath, aged 15), Ukki, ballpoint pen on paper
- Ross McHale (Kildare, aged 15), Mixed Emojions, digital
- Eva McParland (Dublin, aged 14), Is this Normal?, pencil on paper
- Zili Yang (Dublin, aged 12), A girl in silence, paint on canvas
- JohnLuka Doherty (Dublin, aged 17), Joey, acrylic, pencil, pen on cardboard
- Alannah Ferry (Donegal, aged 18), Portrait of The Pandemic, scrap metal, solder, newspaper clippings printed during the Covid-19 lockdown, PVA glue, marbles, voice recorder chip, fishing wire, mask, steel wool, clay, nail polish and glitter on canvas
- Julia Galarowicz (Limerick, aged 17), Dom, pencil on paper
- Abbey O’Keeffe (Limerick, aged 16), Daydreamer, paint on canvas
- Síobhra O’Reardon-Farrell (Dublin, aged 18), Richard, oil on canvas
An exhibition of the shortlisted portraits will open as soon as the Gallery re-opens.
This annual inclusive art competition aims to foster and support creativity, originality and self-expression in children and young people. The Zurich Young Portrait Prize accepts entries from young people, up to the age of 18, of all abilities, from across the island of Ireland.
A panel of judges selected 20 finalists in four categories: ages 6 and under, ages 7-11, ages 12-15 and ages 16-18. These portraits will be displayed in the National Gallery of Ireland until 21 March 2021, and at our partner venue, Crawford Art Gallery, Cork, from 17 April to 11 July 2021.
Five winners (one from each age category, and an overall winner) will be chosen from the shortlist of 20 portraits. Winners will receive a bespoke art box and a cash prize.