We are delighted to reveal the shortlist for this year's Zurich Portrait Prize. 26 artists, working across a variety of media, have made it through to the final stage of the competition.
Shortlisted artists for the Zurich Portrait Prize 2022 at the National Gallery of Ireland are:
- Rachel Ballagh (Cork), Back Garden, 2021, Photograph
- Zsolt Basti (Dublin), Megan and Ophelia, 2021, Oil on canvas
- Shane Blount (Wicklow), Lately I've Been Seeing Rainbows, 2022, Oil on canvas
- Patrick Bolger (Dublin / Wicklow), Louise Kennedy, 2022, Photograph
- David Booth (Dublin), Salvatore, 2021, Oil on board
- Enda Burke (Galway), Deirdre by the Window, 2021, Photograph
- Aisling Coughlan (Dublin), Dead Dad, 2021, Oil on wood panel
- Catherine Creaney (Tyrone), Care, 2022, Oil on linen
- David Creedon (Cork), Rustam Saidaliev – Sanctuary in a New Land, 2022, Photograph
- Ian Cumberland (Down), 14314 days, 2022, Oil on linen
- Barry Delaney (Dublin), Forty Footer, 2021, Photograph
- Aodán Feeney (Galway), Dead Weight, 2022, Oil on canvas
- Alexis Pearse Flynn (London), Self-portrait five days after vaccination, 2021, Oil on gessoed board
- Vanessa Jones (Dublin), HoMi Hand Plow (self-portrait), 2020, Oil on canvas
- Bernadette Kiely (Kilkenny), An artist becomes their work [portrait of Paul Mosse in his studio], 2021, Oil on canvas
- Vera Klute (Kilkenny), Self-Portrait, 2020, Oil on plywood
- Gavin Leane (Dublin), Several Days Hence, 2022, Photograph
- Emily McGardle (Monaghan), Rictus, 2022, Pencil and pen on paper
- Fiach McGuinne (Dublin), MacDara, 2022, Oil and acrylic on canvas
- Tom McLean (Galway), Cocoon, 2022, Oil on linen
- Mick O'Dea (Dublin), At Dysert O’Dea, 2020, Oil on canvas
- Liz Purtill ( Kerry), Dermot, 2022, Egg tempera on aluminium panel
- Cara Rose (Dublin), Double Self Portrait, 2021, Coloured pencil on paper
- Sorcha Frances Ryder (Dublin), My Bedroom As A Depressed College Graduate (Self-portrait), 2022, Photograph
- Marie Smith (Cavan), Stephanie, 2022, Fired clay on wooden stand
- Marc O'Sullivan Vallig (Cork), Alex, 2021, Oil on canvas
26 November 2022 – 2 April 2023
Room 23 | Admission free – no booking required
The annual competition showcasing contemporary portraiture is open to artists from across the island of Ireland, and Irish artists living abroad. The winner of the competition will receive a cash prize of €15,000 and will be commissioned to create a work for the National Portrait Collection, for which they will be awarded a further €5,000. Two additional awards of €1,500 will be given to highly commended works.
This exhibition will feature the shortlist of portraits chosen by the 2022 judging panel. The exhibition will travel to the Regional Cultural Centre, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, where it will be displayed from 3 June to 2 September 2023.
This year's judges are Diana Copperwhite, artist; Anna O'Sullivan, Director of the Butler Gallery, Kilkenny; and Nick Miller, artist.
Supported by Zurich Insurance plc.