We run an exciting work-experience programme for Transition Year students at the National Gallery of Ireland. In this week-long programme you will go behind the scenes at the Gallery and learn about the work of different departments including Education, Conservation, Curatorial and Visitor Experience. Working as a team, you will develop a ‘live project’ to create an event for young people that will run at the Gallery.
The placement will suit students who are interested in art and may be considering studying it for Leaving Cert. You must be willing to work with students from other schools and be comfortable in a team environment. Most importantly, we’re looking for students who want to learn something from their week at the Gallery and benefit from a new experience.
What to expect
- You will be based in the Education Department and will find out all about the work we do
- You will also go on tours to find out about the work of different departments including Education, Conservation, Curatorial and Visitor Experience (subject to staff availability).
- Throughout the week you will work together on an exciting Live Project, developing an event for young people.
- You will receive training and support to help you develop and deliver your event.
- You will develop a reflective portfolio to record your activities and experiences during your placement
- You will meet new people, develop confidence and skills, and have fun.
TY placements at the Gallery are very popular and places are extremely limited. In 2021-22 we will take one cohort of students from Monday 28 March – Friday 1 April 2022. We are unable to facilitate placements outside of these dates.
Open for applications in January 2022
An information pack with detailed information about the placement will be made available on this webpage in December 2021. Applications will open in January 2022 and will be via a short online application form. We are unable to set up a waiting list.
If you have any questions, please contact Catherine O’Donnell: [email protected].i
Creative careers advice online
We share lots of creative careers advice and inspiration on our Apollo Project Instagram account (@apolloprojectirl). Artists, designers, curators, photographers, and many more people from the Gallery and beyond, offer masterclasses and more!
You can also watch videos of our Creative Careers Day, with inspirational talks from Gallery staff and special guests from other creative fields.
You might also like
Creative Careers Day
Videos: Watch inspirational talks from Creative Careers Day 2019
Virtual tour of the National Gallery of Ireland
Take a virtual tour around some of the Gallery spaces
Projects designed by young people for young people!
Apollo Project: Artistic Licence Activity
Why not use artistic licence to reimagine a work from the Gallery