Follow along with this easy video to create a drawing and collage inspired by Monet's painting!
While we're temporarily closed, our Education team will be bringing some of their family workshops to you online so that you can get creative at home! Follow the steps in the video below, created by Joanne from our Education team and her daughter Ciara (aged 7), and recreate Monet's gorgeous painting, Argenteuil Basin with a Single Sailboat.
You can share your creations with us on our online channels using #NationalGalleryIRLAtHome, or email them to us at [email protected] - we'd love to see how you get on!
This activity, which would normally have taken place in the Maples Group Creative Space, is now brought to you online.
National Gallery of Ireland at Home
Create your own MonetPlay
What you will need
- A sheet of paper, any size
- Chalk pastels, lots of colours (crayons and colour pencils will work too!)
- Scraps of paper in blues, whites and browns (you could also use cloth, or feathers!)
- Glue stick
- Start with your sheet of paper - white or blue will do.
- Begin by lightly filling in the background with blue, using the side of the chalk and blending with your fingertips - don’t worry about getting a little messy
- Use a darker colour, like purple, to create the line of the river and the tree.
- Start to mark out the leaves and branches of the tree, and its reflection in the water below.
- Look closely at Monet’s painting - he uses lots of colours to show the tree. Use reds and yellows to create the leaves. What season do you think it is here?
- Monet used short dabs of blue and white paint to show the surface of the water. Use heavy dashes of chalk to create this effect.
- Add white highlights to your blue dashes.
- Use vertical lines to create the impression of the buildings on the distant horizon.
- Gather your scraps of collage materials to create your boat. You don’t have to use only paper here - you can try cloth, or feathers, or anything you like!
- Use glue to stick your collage together on a larger scrap of paper.
- Cut our your collage.
- Finally stick the boat in place in your drawing!
Drawing and collage by Ciara Lawlor (aged 7) and video by Joanne Drum, for the National Gallery of Ireland.
You might also like:
Argenteuil Basin with a Single Sailboat by Claude Monet (1840-1926)
Argenteuil Basin with a Single Sailboat by Claude Monet
How to make a patterned cape
Follow this step-by-step video to make a Sorolla-inspired cape.
Explore the Renaissance with Cozimo
Discover more about this fascinating period in art history
Zurich Young Portrait Prize 2020: How to enter
Deadline to enter is 1 July 2020