We are very pleased to open the doors of our galleries once more with a phased reopening, and to welcome you back to visit favourite works from the collection.
The safety of our visitors and staff is our paramount concern, and we have been working hard behind the scenes to put measures in place to ensure that you can enjoy your visit to the National Gallery of Ireland safely and peacefully.
From Monday 6 July you will find our Modern European Collection (Rooms 1- 5), our temporary exhibition Moment in Time: A Legacy of Photographs, and the Gallery Shop open.
Read on to find out what to expect when you visit us. If you have any questions or concerns, you can email [email protected].
We can't wait to see you - we've missed you!
Curious about what is opening when?
Plan your visit
Entering the Gallery
- Our Clare Street entrance is the only entrance in operation at the moment.
- There is no need to book a ticket/time slot for our permanent collection.
- As we will be operating at a reduced capacity, it may be necessary to queue for a short period at times. Please follow the directions of staff, and observe social distancing guidelines.
- Hand sanitiser is available throughout the Gallery.
Getting around the Gallery
- We are operating a one-way system throughout the building. Please follow the yellow floor markings which will guide you on your visit.
- From Monday 6 July, our Modern European Rooms (1-5) will be open, as well as our temporary exhibition Moment in Time: A Legacy of Photographs and the Gallery Shop. The rest of the Gallery will reopen in phases. You can find out more about the phased reopening here
- As we are operating at a reduced capacity, with limited numbers permitted in each area, we may sometimes ask you to wait a few minutes before entering some rooms. Please follow the directions of our staff, and observe social distancing guidelines.
- Please respect any maximum capacity signage that you see.
- We recommend that you follow one of our colour-coded trails when you are in the Modern European rooms. You can begin your trail on the left-hand side of Room 5, then simply follow the yellow arrows and look out for coloured stripes on our object labels. Works marked with green stripes will guide you through highlights of the collection, while our family favourites trail is marked in pink.
- The Gallery Shop is open at the following times: Monday: 11am-4.30pm | Tuesday - Saturday: 10.30am - 4.30pm | Sunday: 11.30am - 4.30pm
- We are dedicating one hour every day (11.30am-12.30pm) to elderly and vulnerable visitors. If you are not in that category, please consider planning your visit outside that time.
- There is a limited capacity in the shop, so it may be necessary to queue at busy periods.
- We are operating a one-way system, which is clearly marked.
- Contactless or card payments are preferred, where possible.
- There is no gift wrapping service available at the moment.
- Our cloakrooms are not in operation.
- You will not be able to enter the Gallery with a suitcase, and you may be asked to remove backpacks and carry them by your side to ensure the safety of other visitors.
- Our toilets are open.
- The Gallery Café is not currently open. We hope to reopen the space as soon as possible. The safety of staff and visitors is of paramount importance and discussions are ongoing about the operations of the Café in this new environment. A reopening date is not yet confirmed but we will let you know as soon as it is.
Maples Group Creative Space
- Our Creative Space is not currently available. In the meantime, we have lots of online workshops and activities available that you can do at home.
- If you need accessibility assistance please contact [email protected] before your visit, or talk to any member of staff upon your arrival. The welfare of our visitors is paramount at the Gallery, and we will take every step to ensure that your visit to the Gallery is enjoyable and safe. You can read more about our dedication to making the Gallery an accessible environment here.
- Wheelchairs are available at the cloakrooms. Please ask a staff member at the information desk for assistance, or reserve one in advance by contacting [email protected].
- All wheelchairs are cleaned thoroughly before and after each use.
Changing Places facility
- The Changing Places facility is available to use. Please contact 087 117 0880 for the key and more information about this facility.
- Use your own smartphone and headphones to listen to a small selection of audio descriptions.
- You will see green and pink labels in the rooms: a 'headphones symbol' on these coloured labels indicates that an audio description is available.
- You can access the small selection of audio descriptions here
- You can listen to an audio guide for Moment in Time here
- Please note: audio guides are not currently available to borrow. You must use your own device.
Library Reading Room
- The Library Reading Room is not open, but our staff will be able to facilitate remote research.
- Please contact us at [email protected] for more details.
Prints and Drawings Study Room
- The Prints and Drawings Study Room is not open at present.
- Research queries will be answered via email by contacting [email protected]
- Our Friends Room remains closed for now.
- Please contact [email protected] for more information.
- We are not currently offering tours of the collection.
- To enhance your visit, you can choose between two suggested trails taking in a selection of artworks, if you would like: a Highlights trail (green route), or a Family Favourites trail (pink route). You will see green and pink labels in the rooms to guide you on whichever trail you prefer, and you can access a small small selection of audio descriptions here.
- Our temporary exhibitions will reopen on the following dates:
Visitor information (printable PDF)