Before you visit, please read these guidelines to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable experience in the Gallery.
Entering the Gallery
- We are operating a one-way system - please enter via our Merrion Square entrance and exit via Clare Street.
- After 5.15pm, entry and exit to the Gallery will be via Clare Street.
- If you are visiting our Mondrian exhibition, you will need to book tickets in advance here. You do not need to book a ticket/time slot to visit the permanent collection, or any of our other temporary exhibitions.
- Face coverings are now mandatory in a number of indoor spaces around Ireland, including galleries. Please refer to the government guidelines for more information.
- As we will be operating at a reduced capacity, it may be necessary to queue for a short period at times. Please follow the directions of staff, and observe social distancing guidelines.
- Please use the hand sanitiser which is available throughout the Gallery.
Getting around the Gallery
- We are operating a one-way system through the building. Please follow the yellow floor markings which will guide you on your visit.
- As we are operating at a reduced capacity, with limited numbers permitted in each area, we may sometimes ask you to wait a few minutes before entering some rooms. Please follow the directions of our staff, and observe social distancing guidelines.
- Please respect any maximum capacity signage that you see.
- We recommend that you follow one of our colour-coded trails when you are visiting our permanent collection. Follow the yellow arrows and look out for coloured stripes on our object labels. Works marked with green stripes will guide you through highlights of the collection, while our family favourites trail is marked in pink.
- The Gallery Shop is open at the following times: Monday: 11am–5.15pm | Tuesday – Friday: 9.45am–7.45pm | Saturday: 9.45am - 5.15pm | Sunday: 11.30am–5.15pm
- The Gallery Shop is open online 24/7, and you can shop here.
- We are dedicating one hour every day (11.30am–12.30pm) to elderly and vulnerable visitors. If you are not in that category, please consider planning your visit outside that time.
- There is a limited capacity in the shop, so it may be necessary to queue at busy periods.
- We are operating a one-way system, which is clearly marked.
- Contactless or card payments are preferred, where possible.
- There is no gift wrapping service available at the moment.
- Our cloakrooms are not in operation.
- You will not be able to enter the Gallery with a suitcase, and you may be asked to remove backpacks and carry them by your side to ensure the safety of other visitors.
- Our toilets are open.
- A pop-up Gallery Café, run by Gallery staff, offers tea, coffee and pastries. There is seated service for a reduced number of customers. We will be offering a limited service over the festive season. Visit us for coffee and cake on weekdays, 11am-3pm.
Maples Group Creative Space
- Our Creative Space is not currently available. In the meantime, we have lots of online workshops and activities available that you can do at home.
- If you need accessibility assistance please contact [email protected] before your visit, or talk to any member of staff upon your arrival. The welfare of our visitors is paramount at the Gallery, and we will take every step to ensure that your visit to the Gallery is enjoyable and safe. You can read more about our dedication to making the Gallery an accessible environment here
- Wheelchairs are available at the cloakrooms. Please ask a staff member at the information desk for assistance, or reserve one in advance by contacting [email protected].
- All wheelchairs are cleaned thoroughly before and after each use.
Changing Places facility
- The Changing Places facility is available to use. Please contact 087 117 0880 for the key and more information about this facility.
- Use your own smartphone and headphones to listen to a small selection of audio descriptions.
- You will see green and pink labels in the rooms: a 'headphones symbol' on these coloured labels indicates that an audio description is available.
- You can access the small selection of audio descriptions here
- Please note: audio-guide handsets are not currently available to borrow. You must use your own device.
Library Reading Room
- The Library Reading Room is not open, but our staff will be able to facilitate remote research.
- Please contact us at [email protected] for more details.
Prints and Drawings Study Room
- The Prints and Drawings Study Room is not open at present.
- Research queries will be answered via email by contacting [email protected]
- Our Friends Room remains closed for now.
- Please contact [email protected] for more information.
- We are not currently offering onsite tours of the collection.
- You can experience the magic of Mondrian, wherever you are, with our Exclusive Curator's Tour: Mondrian Online.
- To enhance your visit to the Gallery, you can:
- Follow one of our suggested trails taking in a selection of artworks: a Highlights trail (green route), or a Family Favourites trail (pink route). You will see green and pink labels in the rooms to guide you on whichever trail you prefer, and you can also listen to a small selection of audio descriptions on your own device.
- Follow one of our online self-guided tours to learn more about some highlights of the collection.
- Follow the Shaw Fund Trail, which is linked to our exhibition Shaw and the Gallery. As you make your way around our galleries, look out for the special Shaw logo which will show you which pieces in our collection were acquired with thanks to George Bernard Shaw's generous gift.
- Up to six individuals from the same household, or the same support bubble, can visit the Gallery together. Larger groups will not be admitted to the Gallery. We cannot accommodate school group visits at the moment. Please refer to Government guidelines for more details.