Plan your visit
Visit the Gallery for free!
- No booking required to visit the permanent collection and many temporary exhibitions. Free, for all to enjoy.
- Tickets are required for some temporary exhibitions.
- See our current opening hours.
- Please do not visit the Gallery if you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19. Refer to the current advice for those with symptoms, as announced by Government on 28 February 2022.
- Hand sanitiser is available throughout the Gallery.
- Groups can visit the Gallery's permanent collection and free exhibitions for free, but must book a time slot for their visit.
- Find out how to book your group visit to the Gallery.
Entrances to the Gallery
- There are two entrances into the Gallery: one is located on Merrion Square West, and another is located on Clare Street.
- Read about the various transport options that will get you to the Gallery.
- Carers can visit the temporary exhibitions for free, but must book their free ticket in advance.
- If you need accessibility assistance please contact [email protected] before your visit, or talk to any member of staff upon your arrival. The welfare of our visitors is paramount at the Gallery, and we will take every step to ensure that your visit to the Gallery is enjoyable and safe.
- Read more about access facilities and services in the Gallery.
Visiting with kids and young people
- We've gathered together a list of fun online resources and activities for children and young people. Try them out on your next visit!
- Check the What's On calendar for upcoming free guided tours. Our free Family Tours take place every Sunday at 12.30pm and our New Parents' Tour takes place the second Monday of the month at 2.30pm.
- Borrow a free Family Pack from the information desks. Containing drawing materials, they can be used anywhere in the Gallery, and are the perfect accompaniment to one of our Through a Lens tours, or our audio tour for kids.
During your visit
- Self-service lockers are available at Merrion Square.
- Visitors are requested to place all handheld and backpack size items into the lockers.
- Self-service lockers will not accommodate any item that is cabin luggage sized or larger.
- Visitors are encouraged not to bring any items larger than a backpack to the Gallery.
- Items may not be deposited overnight, items not retrieved will be recorded in Lost and Found.
- Wheelchairs are available to borrow. Please ask a staff member at the information desk for assistance, or reserve one in advance by contacting [email protected].
- All wheelchairs are cleaned thoroughly before and after each use.
Toilets and Changing Places facility
- There are toilets located on Level -1, accessed via the stairs/lifts near the Merrion Square entrance. Additional toilets are located on Level 1 and Level 0 of the Millennium Wing, near the Clare Street entrance. Download a Gallery map, or ask any staff member for directions.
- The Changing Places facility is available to use. Please contact 087 117 0880 for the key and more information about this facility.
Atrium Creative Space
Drop by our Atrium Creative Space during your visit and use the available drawing materials to make your own artwork!
Family Packs and Drawing & Creative Writing Kits
- Anyone can borrow these packs, free of charge, from the information desks.
- Family Packs contain drawing materials for children to use during their visit.
- Drawing & Creative Writing Kits are for adults and young people aged 16+. Each kit contains writing and drawing materials for when inspiration strikes during your visit.
Temporary room closures
- Some rooms and galleries may be temporarily closed. Apologies in advance for any inconvenience caused.
The Gallery Café is located on Level 0 of the Millennium Wing, most easily accessed via the Gallery's Clare Street entrance. The Café is open at the following times:
Monday: 11am – 5pm
Tuesday and Wednesday: 9.30am – 5pm
Thursday: 9.30am – 8pm (The Café will close at 5pm on 17 March)
Friday and Saturday: 9.30am – 5pm
Sunday: 11am – 5pm
- The Gallery Shop is located on Level 0 of the Millennium Wing, just inside the door at the Clare Street entrance to the Gallery.
- You can also shop online.
Listen, learn and explore
Free guided tours
We run a regular programme of free guided tours in the Gallery. Everyone is welcome - no booking required! Check the What's On calendar for upcoming tours.
- Highlights Tours: Saturdays at 12.30pm and 2.30pm, Sundays at 1.30pm and 2.30pm
- Themed Tours: Saturdays at 1.30pm
- Family Tours: Sundays at 12.30pm
- New Parents' Tours: the 2nd Monday of the month at 2pm
- Tours for the hard of hearing: the 1st Thursday of every 2nd month at 5.30pm. Upcoming tour dates in 2022: 6 October, 1 December.
Or, you could follow one of our online self-guided tours on your visit. Choose from a wide range of themes including Irish art, family favourites, costume, and LGBTQIA+.
- Use your own smartphone and headphones to listen to a small selection of audio descriptions of artworks.
- You will see green and pink labels in the rooms: a 'headphones symbol' on these coloured labels indicates that an audio description is available.
- You can access the small selection of audio descriptions here.
- Please note: audio-guide handsets are not currently available to borrow. You must use your own device.
Audio Tour for Kids & Families
- Look, listen and learn about art with our special audio designed for kids!
- Use your own smartphone and headphones to listen during your visit. Or, you can enjoy this audio adventure at home or in school.
Visiting with kids and young people
- We've gathered together a list of fun online resources and activities for children and young people. Try them out on your next visit. Many of these can also be enjoyed at home or in school.
See The Meeting on the Turret Stairs
- Frederic William Burton's watercolour Hellelil and Hildebrand, the Meeting on the Turret Stairs is on limited display in Room 20 at the following times each week:
- Thursdays, 11am to 12pm
- Sundays, 2pm-3pm
Open 7 days a week.
Listen on your own device and headphones
St Dymphna. The Tragedy of an Irish Princess.
28 January - 28 May 2023
Get in touch with the Gallery
Located in the heart of Georgian Dublin
Download the Gallery Map - available in seven languages
Shop onsite or online for books and art-inspired gifts
Accessibility for visitors with disabilities
Services and facilities ensuring an accessible experience for all