Press Release: 23 June 2010
The Taking of Christ by Caravaggio (1571-1610) has returned to public view in the Beit Wing of the National Gallery of Ireland. The painting, which is placed on indefinite loan to the National Gallery from the Jesuit Community of Dublin, was on loan earlier this year to an exceptional exhibition at the Scuderie del Quirinale in Rome celebrating the 400th anniversary of the artist's death. The exhibition attracted over 580,000 visitors over the period February to June 2010.
The Gallery wishes to remind visitors that some rooms will be subject to closure through the summer period to facilitate the commencement of repair works to the roofs of the historic complex on Merrion Square, under the supervision of the Office of Public Works (OPW). Initially, galleries in the Dargan Wing will be closed to facilitate these works in advance of the contractor moving on site in late September.
Whilst these room closures will impact on public programmes and services, the Gallery is committed to keeping most of its collection on display to the public, and in particular the most popular pieces, such as the Caravaggio. The National Gallery apologises to visitors in advance for the disruption and inconvenience caused by these essential works.
Visitors planning to come to the Gallery are advised to telephone or email Visitor Services in advance: telephone 01-6615133 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
'Gabriel Metsu: Rediscovered Master of the Dutch Golden Age'
4 September - 5 December 2010
Go to Exhibitions on this site.