15 February - 11 May 2014
The National Gallery of Ireland was founded in 1854 by an Act of Parliament. The Act defined the structure of the Gallery’s Board, naming the President of the Royal Hibernian Academy as well as two artists nominated by the RHA as members. Throughout the Gallery’s history, contemporary artists have remained integral members of its Board. Artists who were appointed governors and guardians, such as George Petrie, John Lavery, Nathaniel Hone, Sarah Purser, Jack B. Yeats, Evie Hone, and Seán Keating, have contributed to the development of the collection. This exhibition will highlight the work of these artists while encouraging the viewer to reflect on the nature of the institution and its connection to contemporary art.
Admission free, Millennium Wing, Room 1.