Robert G. Seymour (Dublin 1836 - 1885 Clifton, Bristol)
The Pigeon House Fort, Dublin Bay, from Clontarf, 1877
Watercolour on paper
‘We arranged to go along the Wharf Road until we came to the ships, then to cross in the ferryboat and walk out to see the Pigeon House.’
An Encounter, p.27*
This story was inspired by a remembered incident from Joyce’s childhood. Two boys play truant from school, intending to visit the eye-catching Pigeon House out in Dublin Bay. Their objective was a former hotel, taken over by the army in 1798. The sense of an unattainable goal is evoked by the sketch by Seymour, an amateur artist. It shows the Pigeon House Fort which was demolished in 1897. The Poolbeg power station with its distinctive striped chimneys now stands on the site.
*Please note: page numbers cited in the labels refer to The O’Brien Press 2012 edition of Dubliners by James Joyce, published to coincide with the ‘One City, One Book’ festival 2012. This edition is for sale in the NGI Shop.
Find out more about the Dublin: One City, One Book festival, an initiative of Dublin City Public Libraries